[Samba] Multiple samba servers with AD integration

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Tue Dec 2 07:47:26 MST 2014

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014, Rowland Penny wrote:

> I think I understand what you are trying to do, you have an initial smb.conf
> which calls 2 other nearly identical smb.conf's and you want to run three
> different samba servers on the same machine.  I don't think this is going to
> work, I am fairly sure you can only run once instance of samba on a machine.
> What you can do, is run one smb.conf that can include another conf file, this
> extra conf file usually contains shares.

I don't really see why one would want to run separate samba servers using
the same authentication source (DC) on the same machine either.  However,
I do think it should be possible.

> If you want to run multiple samba instances on one machine, then I suggest
> you investigate VM's, one instance of samba per VM.

I see there being two issues with running multiple samba servers on the
same machine, and I think both are possible to fix.  You're going to need
to run the servers on different IP addresseses.  You can bind to
particular IP with the "interfaces = 1.1.1.1" option in the global section
of your smb.conf.

The other problem is you're going to have multiple copies of samba trying
to use the same tdb files.  This is probably going to cause severe
breakage unless you run each copy with separate state dirs.  I don't know
exactly what is needed, but looking at the smbd command line options, I
would guess each running copy would need it's own --statedir --cachedir
--piddir and --privatedir set.

> Also I suggest that you remove the 'socket options' line, you are probably
> making things worse by having this.

Seconded.  First rule of optimization: don't do it unless you understand
what your changes are supposed to do, and can test and verify the results.
Most of the advice on the internet regarding samba socket options is old
and out of date and will hurt more than it helps in most cases.