[Samba] uidNumber. ( Was: What is --rfc2307-from-nss ??)

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 1 12:16:03 MST 2014

On 01/12/14 19:08, Greg Zartman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Rowland Penny
> <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com <mailto:rowlandpenny at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>

>     I thought I was speaking (well typing) English :-D
>
>     Lets put it this way, samba4 gets the RID for Administrators
>     (S-1-5-32-544), maps this to the xidNumber 3000000 and stores all
>     this in idmap.ldb.
>
>     Does that answer all questions ??????
>

> No.  How do you read this UID from the Active Directory?  I'm using
> the perl Net::LDAP module to interact with the active directory, and
> xidNumber is not in the schema for a newly provisioned domain with
> postix extensions enabled.
>
> Greg

I don't think that you need to read the builtin users/groups, the only
time that they really come to be used by Unix is on the sysvol share and
winbind sorts this out by use of idmap.ldb.

If you do need to use a windows user or group on Unix, then give them a
'uidNumber' or 'gidNumber' (just don't do this to 'Administrator')

Rowland