[Samba] Flexible Single-Master Operations (FSMO) documentation

mourik jan heupink - merit heupink at merit.unu.edu
Sun Aug 31 08:06:31 MDT 2014

Hi Marc,

Very interesting piece of reading. Thanks a lot.

Perhaps it's a good idea to add to the docs the current bug, where not
all roles are transferred using 'samba-tool fsmo transfer role=all', and
some remain on the old DC. (and thus demoting an old DC fails)

I think that the remaing two roles can be changed like:

ldbedit -H sam.ldb -b 'CN=Infrastructure,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=...'
and
ldbedit -H sam.ldb -b 'CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=...'

there you can change the fsmo rule owner. (I guess that demoting the old
DC should work then, but haven't tested that)

Mourik Jan