[Samba] Samba 4 fsmo-handling on crashed dc-server

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Aug 30 08:15:53 MDT 2014

Hello Peter,

> Am 27.08.2014 10:00, schrieb Peter Grotz - Obel und Partner GbR:
>> But I´ve further questions:
>>  2.a.:
>> - What happens with fsmo in the meantime when the crashed server doesn´t
>> work?
>> - Do the remaining dc and the other member-fileservers and the win-clients
>> at the domain work as usual?
>> - Are there any things we can´t do until the fmso containing server works
>> again? Doing changes in AD for example...
>
> I'll try to extend the documentation until the end of the week. I'll
> answer that questions there and post the link, ok?

Here it is:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Flexible_Single-Master_Operations_%28FSMO%29_roles

It think all that questions can be answered with the documentation now.

>> 2.b.:
>> - While demoting foreign dcs is still broken what must I do with the
>> AD- and DNS-entries of the crashed server? Delete all entries with
>  RSAT or samba-tool?

The manual removal of the AD entries might be difficult and can cause
problems if it's not done everywhere (references in ACLs, objects,
etc.). It's really not suggested to do this manually.

>> - For the crashed server it may be the best to scrap the whole
>> samba-installation and reinstall or better delete the samba-
>> databases?!

It would be enought to delete all databases and build the domain from
scratch or join to the existing domain.

But even if your DC has the same name than before, it would replace
existing entries in the AD, because it get's a new GUID. So maybe
entries in the AD are still pointing to the old GUID and your new DC
with the same name is never contacted because of that.

I hope the two demote bugs are fixed soon. They are really serious.

Regards,
Marc