[Samba] Intermittent failures of internal DNS

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Thu Aug 28 02:19:42 MDT 2014

On 2014-08-19 13:29, Sven Schwedas wrote:
> Every once in a while, the DNS fails to resolve external domains – but
> the DNS forwarder is still reachable (8.8.8.8, I assume it would be
> noticeable if it had any issues).
>
> What debug class is used by the DNS code? I don't really want to put
> several DCs on log level 10 for possibly days…

I still haven't found the cause, but occasionally the server fails to
resolve a domain, and instead of timing out it just returns NXDOMAIN,
which apparently prevents clients from trying an alternate server.

Is this a known problem? It's causing sporadic issues for our mail
servers and Windows clients.

Sven Schwedas
Systemadministrator
TAO Beratungs- und Management GmbH | Lendplatz 45 | A - 8020 Graz
Mail/XMPP: sven.schwedas at tao.at | +43 (0)680 301 7167
http://software.tao.at