[Samba] Winbind + sernet Samba4 + CentOS 6.5 + AD

Stephen Garcia sgmorale at ringling.edu
Wed Aug 27 18:08:29 MDT 2014

Hi y'all

So I'm having some issues trying to deploy this system and was hoping I
cold get some insights into this from some gurus

This is the situation:

OS: CentOS 6.5 (2.6.32-431.23.3.el6.x86_64)
AD: Windows Servers 2012 R2 running on domain functional level of Windows
Server 2008 R2
Samba4 installed from sernet yum repo. version 4.1.11-9.el6

As of now the centos server has been joined as a member server to the
domain with no issues.

wbinfo -g, --all-domains, -u, -D  <------ they all work
-u: gets me all users
-g: gets me all groups
--all-domains: gets me BUILTIN, the local hostname, and the domain it joined
-D domain: gets me the domain information
etc etc.

however this is where the problem lies:
wbinfo -n user: gets me the Sid of that user
wbinfo -i user: tells me the following:
failed to call wbcGetpwnam: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get info for user

not to mention:
id testaccount: gets me nothing either.

the user im testing with has gid, gidNumber, loginShell, primaryGroupID,
uid, unixHomeDirectory attrubutes set.

So we have a server that has joined the domain, knows about it, but cant do
anything regarding its user such as chown.

I'd appreciate any insight on why this is happening and can provide some
config settings if needed (though I might edit or swap out some critical
information) as well as strace outputs for those commands that get me
nothing.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Stephen E. Garcia-Morales