[Samba] Need password for adduser script

Johannes Amorosa | Celluloid VFX johannesa at celluloid-vfx.com
Wed Aug 27 03:27:24 MDT 2014

On 08/26/2014 04:13 PM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 26/08/14 15:02, Johannes Amorosa | Celluloid VFX wrote:
>> Hi Rowland,
>> thank you for your time.
>>> Yes, write it on a piece of paper when you create the user in ADUC. ;-)
>> We have a lot of freelancers here. When we create an account for them
>> we don't want to add the same user and password by hand to every system.
>
> OK, I was only joking ;-), the problem is that the users password is
> stored in AD as a (supposedly) one-way unicode password, so getting
> the cleartext password is very very difficult (as in, it would be
> easier to write the password down).
>
> I think that (providing that we are talking S4 AD and the other
> machine is a linux machine) the easiest way, will be to create a
> script to add the user to AD with samba-tool or ldbmodify & an ldif,
> once this is done, the same script could 'ssh' into the other machine
> and add the user there with the same username and password.
We wanted to reuse the windows gui tools for adding a new user to the
domain. But if this is to complicated to get the password into the
adduser script we will go your proposed route and script something with
net rpc and samba-tool and replace the tools until we can shutdown the
old domain.
Thank you for your time.
Joe

--