[Samba] Joining Domain

Andre Kruger Andre.Kruger at TRW.COM
Wed Aug 27 03:21:19 MDT 2014

I have successfully compiled and installed Samba 4.1.11 from source on OpenIndiana 151a8.

I tested the server by creating a folder and adding a local samba user (smbpasswd -a) and mapping a drive from my Windows machine which successded. I was able to access the test file in the folder as well as edit and save it.

Now I am trying to join my samba server to my domain but it is failing and the error messages are not helping much and google's responses aren't really helping.

Can anybody on the list help? When I try and join the domain I get the following error message:

./net ads join -U krugersa
Enter krugersa's password:
ads_setup_sasl_wrapping() failed: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
kinit succeeded but ads_sasl_spnego_krb5_bind failed: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED
Failed to join domain: failed to connect to AD: NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED

What causes samba to output this particular error message? "NT_STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED" is very general...

A copy of my smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = DOMAIN
        realm = AD.DOMAIN.COM