[Samba] replication issues solved by adding GUID names to /etc/hosts

mourik jan heupink - merit heupink at merit.unu.edu
Wed Aug 27 02:07:48 MDT 2014

Hi,

Yes, what I'm saying is not that without the guid's in /etc/hosts
replication will give errors. (we have had successful replication here
as well)

What I'm saying is, that there were some remaining WERR_BADFILE repl
errors after adding a new dc. After waiting hours, restarting samba
several times these did not go away.

Then I read the post I mentioned, and added the GUID's to /etc/hosts,
and immediately my WERR_BADFILE errors disappeared.

I no expert, and again: we've always had successful replication here as
well, without the entries in /etc/hosts. But these errors remained, and
disappeared immediately after editing /etc/hosts.

Plus there have been some more similar reports on this list, I'd say:
where there is smoke, there is a fire.

Some 'evidence' from the list archives, three different threads over the
last year, similar problem, all sharing the same solution:

http://marc.info/?l=samba&m=137032630404682&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=samba&m=137003992508143&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=samba&m=137000020326397&w=2

Again: not saying that it will never work without the entries in
/etc/hosts, but...

Kind regards,
Mourik Jan