[Samba] Domain users not resolving...

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Mon Aug 25 06:59:29 MDT 2014

On 08/23/2014 04:26 AM, Rowland Penny wrote:
> [...]
>> Rowland's Request:
>> =================
>> root at dc01:~# /samba/sbin/samba -b
>> Samba version: 4.1.11
>> Build environment:
>>    Build host:  Linux dc01 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue May 13 16:34:35
>> UTC 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> Paths:
>>    BINDIR: /samba/bin
>>    SBINDIR: /samba/sbin
>>    CONFIGFILE: /samba/etc/smb.conf
>>    NCALRPCDIR: /samba/var/run/ncalrpc
>>    LOGFILEBASE: /samba/var
>>    LMHOSTSFILE: /samba/etc/lmhosts
>>    DATADIR: /samba/share
>>    MODULESDIR: /samba/lib
>>    LOCKDIR: /samba/var/lock
>>    STATEDIR: /samba/var/locks
>>    CACHEDIR: /samba/var/cache
>>    PIDDIR: /samba/var/run
>>    PRIVATE_DIR: /samba/private
>>    CODEPAGEDIR: /samba/share/codepages
>>    SETUPDIR: /samba/share/setup
>>    WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR: /samba/var/run/winbindd
>>    WINBINDD_PRIVILEGED_SOCKET_DIR: /samba/var/lib/winbindd_privileged
>>    NTP_SIGND_SOCKET_DIR: /samba/var/lib/ntp_signd
>>
>> No ID's have been setup. The rfc2307 stuff is there, but they're not
>> using it. They have two Samba DC's and everything else is Windows 7.
>> They were using rsync to sync the sysvol, which had caused issues
>> with GID/UID on the second DC, but I fixed that already. Well, tried
>> to anyway. It is setup the EXACT same way. It also has issues with
>> this stuff.
>>
>> I have a theory as to how to fix this but want advice first. If I am
>> wrong, so be it. I would like to build Samba the STANDARD way (FHS,
>> bin files go to /bin, etc) but have one concern. If I do this, do I
>> simply need to adjust the paths in the configuration file and move
>> the sysvol to the proper location? On all of the systems I do, this
>> is always "/var/lib/samba/sysvol". I would obviously have to move the
>> tdb files and such to "/var/lib/samba" as well. Would that work, or
>> am I going to have to deal with this the way it is?
>>
>> If you need anything else, please ask. Remember, this is a DC and
>> while rfc2307 attributes exist, they're not being used. Probably due
>> to no Linux member servers.

>>> It would also help if you followed the howto and didn't change bits
>>> that you don't like, just why did you install into /samba instead of
>>> /usr/local/samba ?
>>> Everything out there is based on self compiling into
>>> /usr/local/samba, the wiki gives you the instructions based on this.
>>>
>>> having said this, it is possibly/probably a path problem, could you
>>> please post (along with what Marc has asked for) the result of
>>> 'samba -b'
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>
> OK, what does 'echo "$PATH"' return, does it have '/samba/sbin' &
> '/samba/bin' in it ?
>
> If not, try this:
>
> export PATH=/samba/sbin:/samba/bin:$PATH
>
> if everything now works correctly, do this:
>
> echo "PATH=/samba/sbin:/samba/bin:$PATH" > /etc/profile.d/samba4.sh

Rowland, nothing in /samba is in the path. I had already tried your
suggestion, but I did it again this morning and here are my results. It
does not fix the issue. I also included some configuration files and such.

root at dc01:~# echo "$PATH"
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
root at dc01:~# export PATH=$PATH:/samba/bin:/samba/sbin
root at dc01:~# id maliag
id: maliag: No such user
root at dc01:~# id michaelh
id: michaelh: No such user
root at dc01:~# getent passwd
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
daemon:x:1:1:daemon:/usr/sbin:/bin/sh
bin:x:2:2:bin:/bin:/bin/sh
sys:x:3:3:sys:/dev:/bin/sh
sync:x:4:65534:sync:/bin:/bin/sync
games:x:5:60:games:/usr/games:/bin/sh
man:x:6:12:man:/var/cache/man:/bin/sh
lp:x:7:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/sh
mail:x:8:8:mail:/var/mail:/bin/sh
uucp:x:10:10:uucp:/var/spool/uucp:/bin/sh
proxy:x:13:13:proxy:/bin:/bin/sh
www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/bin/sh
backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
list:x:38:38:Mailing List Manager:/var/list:/bin/sh
irc:x:39:39:ircd:/var/run/ircd:/bin/sh
gnats:x:41:41:Gnats Bug-Reporting System (admin):/var/lib/gnats:/bin/sh
nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh
libuuid:x:100:101::/var/lib/libuuid:/bin/sh
ntp:x:101:103::/home/ntp:/bin/false
sshd:x:102:65534::/var/run/sshd:/usr/sbin/nologin
bind:x:103:105::/var/cache/bind:/bin/false
root at dc01:~# cat /samba/etc/smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = KIGM
         realm = KIGM.LOCAL
         netbios name = DC01
         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
         interfaces = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.1

[netlogon]
         path = /samba/var/locks/sysvol/kigm.local/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /samba/var/locks/sysvol
         read only = No
root at dc01:~# cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files dns wins
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
root at dc01:~# wbinfo -g
Enterprise Read-Only Domain Controllers
Domain Admins
Domain Users
Domain Guests
Domain Computers
Domain Controllers
Schema Admins
Enterprise Admins
Group Policy Creator Owners
Read-Only Domain Controllers
DnsUpdateProxy
Operations
AV
Graphics
WAFA
Finance
Logos
Streaming
root at dc01:~# cat /etc/krb5.conf
[libdefaults]
         default_realm = KIGM.LOCAL
         dns_lookup_realm = false
         dns_lookup_kdc = true

Thanks for the help. What about my suggestion to perform a normal
install per the book and then move everything in /samba/var/lib to the
correct location? Would that not work? I agree with you that this issue
is caused by the odd install location.