[Samba] Domain users not resolving...

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Fri Aug 22 18:19:42 MDT 2014

Rowland, I did not do this. This is a new client who dropped their old
IT support due to issues on the network. I found out it was not having
access to the sysvol. That is where I figured out what I have. I do use
FHS in my builds, but I would never put it into a root directory like
this. I guess the other team was testing Samba and using a client to
test on! I do agree 100% that the issue is the path. However, I can feel
good that I didn't do such a bone-headed move!

Sorry for the lack of files, I had to figure out how it was set up.
Everything, including the configuration file is in "/samba", which
appears to be a separate partition. Here is what you requested.

Samba 4.1.11 64bit
Debian Squeeze 64bit

=========
smb.conf:
=========
# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = DOMAIN
         realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL
         netbios name = DC01
         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbind, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
         interfaces = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.1

[netlogon]
         path = /samba/var/locks/sysvol/kigm.local/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         path = /samba/var/locks/sysvol
         read only = No

=========
krb5.conf:
=========
[libdefaults]
         default_realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL
         dns_lookup_realm = false
         dns_lookup_kdc = true

=================
Rowland's Request:
=================
root at dc01:~# /samba/sbin/samba -b
Samba version: 4.1.11
Build environment:
    Build host:  Linux dc01 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue May 13 16:34:35
UTC 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Paths:
    BINDIR: /samba/bin
    SBINDIR: /samba/sbin
    CONFIGFILE: /samba/etc/smb.conf
    NCALRPCDIR: /samba/var/run/ncalrpc
    LOGFILEBASE: /samba/var
    LMHOSTSFILE: /samba/etc/lmhosts
    DATADIR: /samba/share
    MODULESDIR: /samba/lib
    LOCKDIR: /samba/var/lock
    STATEDIR: /samba/var/locks
    CACHEDIR: /samba/var/cache
    PIDDIR: /samba/var/run
    PRIVATE_DIR: /samba/private
    CODEPAGEDIR: /samba/share/codepages
    SETUPDIR: /samba/share/setup
    WINBINDD_SOCKET_DIR: /samba/var/run/winbindd
    WINBINDD_PRIVILEGED_SOCKET_DIR: /samba/var/lib/winbindd_privileged
    NTP_SIGND_SOCKET_DIR: /samba/var/lib/ntp_signd

No ID's have been setup. The rfc2307 stuff is there, but they're not
using it. They have two Samba DC's and everything else is Windows 7.
They were using rsync to sync the sysvol, which had caused issues with
GID/UID on the second DC, but I fixed that already. Well, tried to
anyway. It is setup the EXACT same way. It also has issues with this stuff.

I have a theory as to how to fix this but want advice first. If I am
wrong, so be it. I would like to build Samba the STANDARD way (FHS, bin
files go to /bin, etc) but have one concern. If I do this, do I simply
need to adjust the paths in the configuration file and move the sysvol
to the proper location? On all of the systems I do, this is always
"/var/lib/samba/sysvol". I would obviously have to move the tdb files
and such to "/var/lib/samba" as well. Would that work, or am I going to
have to deal with this the way it is?

If you need anything else, please ask. Remember, this is a DC and while
rfc2307 attributes exist, they're not being used. Probably due to no
Linux member servers.