[Samba] Samba4 AD DC INVALID_SERVER_STATE

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Fri Aug 22 09:49:53 MDT 2014

Hello Bruno,

Am 22.08.2014 11:13, schrieb Bruno MACADRÉ:
> I've a SAMBA4 AD DC primary controller, another server joined as DC too,
> all worked pretty good since this morning....
>
> This morning, I need to join a lot of workstations to the domain, I
> begin on the first one and get an error message 'This operation must be
> done on the primary domain controller'.... strange. I go on my first PDC
> checking network, DNS (dbcheck returns no error).... nothing, I do a
> 'smbclient -L localhost -U Administrator' and I get an
> 'INVALID_SERVER_STATE error message', I do the same on my other PDC :
> the command returns valid answer.
>
> I've restarted the 'samba' daemon on my first PDC and all works now....
>
> I've 2 questions :
>
> * Why my first PDC becomes magically in an invalid state (without any
> modification) ? (and what seems INVALID_STATE ?)
> * Why my second PDC doesn't respond when I try to join my workstation
> and my first PDC was in an invalid state ?

Haven't seen this yet. But if you can provide some logs, it would be
easier to say what could be wrong.

I would suggest, to wait if this was just something that happend once.
If not, then set your log level to 3 (should be enough for a bit more
details, but low enough to prevent flooding your log directory and slow
down the environment).

Regards,
Marc

Btw: PDC is something you're having in an NT4-domain. In an AD, there
are just DCs. And all are equal (byside the 5 FSMO roles). ;-)