[Samba] CTDB: Failed to connect client socket to daemon. [SOLVED]

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Thu Aug 21 18:08:43 MDT 2014

Am 22.08.2014 00:16, schrieb steve:
> On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 23:44 +0200, Achim Gottinger wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>> Hi again
>>> This was the clue:
>>> We removed all the MIT packages and rebuilt against the equivalent
>>> Heimdal. Works OK now. smbd starts and stops correctly on enable and
>>> disable.
>>>
>>> The other missing piece was the ubuntu upstart, buried deep in the wiki
>>> vaults:
>>> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-samba/samba.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/samba.samba-ad-dc.init;h=3132d2e367675f822342a5b7bc2e50c046aa3b8f;hb=HEAD
>>>
>>> What a pity we didn't investigate this last week:(
>>>
>>> Also, it really isn't clear the MIT and Heimdal thing. Is this
>>> documented anywhere? We've only come across it when on Ubuntu. Maybe
>>> it's a Debian thing. All we can find is some history US defence
>>> authority stuff about munition. Maybe we should ask on the MIT list?
>>>
>>> Anyway, thanks again and we hope that this thread will help others avoid
>>> the Krb5 pains.
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Thanks for digging thru this and reporting back. I remember readhat is
>> working on making samba compatible with mit kerberos. On debian/ubuntu
>> you can use "apt-get build-dep samba" to grab all the dependencies
>> necessary for the repo package. I assume with this the required heimdal
>> packages would have been installed.
>> I use MIT gssapi and util's pakckages here on debian and have not yet
>> had an problem with samba-addc's (not using member servers).
>> What was the issue with upstart, the script you reference looks like an
>> samba ad-dc start script?
> We followed this:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/InitScript
Would not have helped because it's an addc start script.
> But it copied an html file to /etc/init/samba-ad-dc.conf. A guy on the
> ubuntu forum sent us this:
> /etc/init/smbd.conf
> /etc/init/smbd.conf
> description "SMB/CIFS File Server"
> author      "Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com>"
>
> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up)
> stop on runlevel [!2345]
>
> respawn
>
> pre-start script
> 	RUN_MODE="daemons"
>
> 	[ -r /etc/default/samba ] && . /etc/default/samba
>
> 	[ "$RUN_MODE" = inetd ] && { stop; exit 0; }
>
> 	install -o root -g root -m 755 -d /var/run/samba
This does create the dircetory /var/run/samba and/or changes owner to
root.root and rights to (2)755.
> end script
>
> exec smbd -F
>
> On disabling a ctdb node, we get an (non fatal) error:
>
> Aug 22 00:03:40 uc2 ctdbd: 50.samba:  * Stopping Samba daemons
> Aug 22 00:03:41 uc2 smbd[2398]: [2014/08/22 00:03:41.862544,
> 0] ../lib/util/pidfile.c:153(pidfile_unlink)
> Aug 22 00:03:41 uc2 smbd[2398]:   Failed to delete
> pidfile /usr/local/samba/var/run/smbd.pid. Error was No such file or
> directory
>
> I _think_ we should change /var/run/samba to /usr/local/samba/var/run
You can change the pid directory in smb.conf to the dircetory create by
the upstart script. If you did not specify otherwise during configure
/usr/local/samba/var/run is the default.

[global]
pid dirctory = /var/run/samba