[Samba] Symlink outside the share path

Kathy banshee135 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 12:28:34 MDT 2014

Yes, already have.  "wide links = yes" (or no, which is the default) is the
correct one according to manpage, but when I tried that one last night, it
doesn't work.  Smbd takes the option okay and doesn't complain, but it's
like it doesn't pay attention to the option.  I have tried it in different
combos with unix extensions set on and off and in both the global and the
share definitions.  Follow symlinks is always on.  So I think the issue is
not that I'm using the wrong syntax, it's that it ignores it and still
denies access outside the shared filesystem.

This is what I've seen others complain of when searching on Google.  That
they use these options in smb.conf, but after reload the server still
ignores them.