[Samba] Automatically add group

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 20 04:23:42 MDT 2014

On 18/08/14 02:06, Duong Manh Hung wrote:
> Dear All.
>
> I have a file server. I installed the samba on it to store the document.
> See below for the security :
>
> - group :
>
>      + g1 : user1, user2,user3
>
>      + g2 : user4, user5,user6
>
>      + g3 : user1,user5
>
> - folder :
>
>     + folder A : set permission chmod 775   and  group chown root:g3
>
> The problem is when the user1 modified a file in folder A then that file
> add the group g1 automatically. So the user2 can modify that file.
>

> Quest : How to deny to add group automatically.
>

> Thanks ALL.
Hmm really need more info here, but from what you posted:

Folder A will allow 'root' to do anything, any member of 'g3' can do
anything, 'others' can enter the folder and read what is in there.

What I think is happening is that when 'user1' modifies the file, it
then belongs to user1:g1, 'user2' comes along and can get into the
folder, once in the folder 'user2' being in 'g1' will be able to modify
the file (group gets rwx), so to stop this, change the access mode to
770. With this setting, only 'root' and members of 'g3' will be able to
get into the directory in the first place

Rowland