[Samba] Joining Second DC error -- NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_RESET

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Aug 19 06:07:54 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-19 at 12:41 +0100, Bruno Andrade wrote:
> On 08/18/2014 07:20 PM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> > Hello Bruno,
> >
> > Am 18.08.2014 11:15, schrieb Bruno Andrade:
> >> All the firewalls are turned off on the way between the two DCs.
> >>
> >> I can't go back with backup...
> > What's wrong with your backup?
> I don't have it... thats the problem.
> >
> >> maybe I can follow this
> >> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-June/182210.html and remove
> >> all the entries from the failed DC. Right? and try again...
> > As for myself would never manually try to cleanup the AD. I would be to
> > afraid of having left references, ACLs or something else that causes
> > side-effects. Maybe you don't see any problems now. But when they come
> > up later, it could be really worse.
> >
> > If you don't have a (working) backup, you should consider going this
> > step or maybe start from scratch - depending on the size of your
> > installation.
>
> I have made an rsync of the actual PDC to a development location and I'm
> joining a new machine as second DC with different hostname, for example.
> To see if something different happens.
>
> Regards,
> Bruno.

Hi Bruno
What's the situation exactly?
1. You made an rsync of the actual PDC to a development location:
what is the 'actual PDC', as is, it the original DC as in this thread?
2. What is the 'second DC'? To what are you joining the second DC?
3. Is the domain to which you attempted the join as per the thread
subject a live domain wit people using it?

Our natural reaction is to go back and start again from nothing as I
don't think we're at the stage where we can recover from a failed join.