[Samba] Read Only access to share

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:41:50 MDT 2014

On 18/08/14 18:15, Kirk Slowe wrote:
> On Aug 18, 2014, at 10:53 AM, Rowland Penny <rowlandpenny at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 18/08/14 17:37, Kirk Slowe wrote:
>>> Latest version of samba running on freebsd. I setup a share and created a user to access the share. I can connect but have no write access.
>>>
>>> smbstatus shows RDONLY under the RW column
>>>

>>> This is a sample of my smb4.conf
>>>
>>> [global]
>>> server string = domain
>>> log file = /var/log/samba4
>>> max log size = 100
>>> security = user
>>> encrypt passwords = yes
>>>
>>> [share]
>>> comment = Share
>>> path = /share
>>> writeable = yes
>>> readonly = no
>> 'writeble = yes' & 'readonly = no' are the same thing, you only need one.
>     removed readonly = no
>

>>> public = yes
>>> guest ok = no
>> 'public' is the same as 'guest ok', here the first says yes, the second says no, which is it ?
>     removed both lines
>>> valid users = user
>>> write list = user
>>> create mask = 0777
>>> force create mode = 0777
>>>
>> Is 'user' also a unix user ?
>     user is a unix user, could that be my problem?

No, in the set up you are using, the user also needs to be a unix user.
You haven't set the workgroup in your smb.conf, so are the rest of your
machines in the workgroup 'WORKGROUP' ? do your users have the same
password as on the machine that they are trying to connect to ? How do
you create the users on the samba server ?

Rowland