[Samba] Shares requiring "Everyone" access...

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Mon Aug 18 09:14:56 MDT 2014

I left all of the permissions at default after setting 2775 on
"printer_drivers" and everything below it and normal users can get into
it with read permissions as expected. However, when my workstations
reboot they still cannot access it for some odd reason. The global
security group "Domain Computers" has read and execute permissions on
the files and folders, but this is logged at each boot.

The computer '<ip address removed>' preference item in the 'Default
Domain Policy {31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}' Group Policy
object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070005
Access is denied.' This error was suppressed.

So despite the permissions, I am getting an access denied error somehow.

On 08/18/2014 10:58 AM, Ryan Ashley wrote:
> I believe you found my issue then. I NEVER leave "CREATOR OWNER" or
> "CREATOR GROUP" on a share under any circumstances. The reason is
> simple. I want the share owner to be the owner of everything, and same
> with the group. If files start being owned by a bunch of different
> users and (assuming here) their default groups, I get a mess. Windows
> has no issue without these two groups. How can I replicate this
> behavior in Samba?
>
> On 08/18/2014 10:41 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>> Wel, im thinking, you can setup as following.
>>
>> in this order..
>>
>> 1) /srv/samba/printer_drivers
>> ( something like )
>>
>> chmod 2775 /srv
>> chmod 2775 /srv/samba
>> chmod 2775 /srv/samba/printer_drivers
>>
>> 2) setup the share from windows pc. add the 2 groups to the share
>> with full access.
>>     ( share tab ) domain admins and a second global security.
>>

>> 3) set the security rights from witin windows on the shared folder.
>>     ( security tab) domain admins and a second global security
>>
>>> .This means nobody can access it now.
>> set "authenticated users to have read access on the share" if needed,
>> the security rights will stop any folder access
>>

>> and leave alone. :
>>   "CREATOR OWNER", and "CREATOR GROUP"
>>

>> Louis

>>> user:reachfp:rwx
>>> group::rwx
>>> group:domain\040admins:rwx
>>> group:domain\040users:r-x
>>> group:domain\040computers:r-x
>>> mask::rwx
>>> other::---
>>> default:user::rwx
>>> default:user:reachfp:rwx
>>> default:group::---
>>> default:group:domain\040admins:rwx
>>> default:group:domain\040users:r-x
>>> default:group:domain\040computers:r-x
>>> default:mask::rwx