[Samba] samba_backup script

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 09:13:36 MDT 2014

On 18/08/14 16:01, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello Henri,
>
> Am 18.08.2014 16:44, schrieb henri transfert:
>> I am trying to backup a samba DC with the samba_backup script as described
>> in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Backup_and_Recovery (BTW there's a typo
>> in a chapter title which should be samba_backup instead of backup_samba) .
> Thanks. I fixed that.
>

>> It works ok except that it backups also all files in the ./lib/private/ dir
>> , which are all library files. I suspect that it is wrong , isn't it ?
> The script is more a workaround than a final solution, yet. :-)
>

> That it also copies ./lib/private/ results from here:
>
> DIRS="private etc sysvol"
> for d in $DIRS;do
>        relativedirname=`find . -type d -name "$d" -prune`
>

> The for-loop took all 'private' folders under $FROMWHERE. The important
> one is ./private/. The other is just a side-effect. :-)
>

> But ./lib/private/ isn't very large. So simply ignore, that it's in your
> archive file in the end. You don't need it.

Hi Marc, bit perplexed here, where is ./lib/private coming from ??

Funnily enough I have been playing with the backup script myself this
afternoon, making it work with the latest tar that does preserve ACL's
and if I manually cd to $FROMWHERE and run 'find . -type d -name
"private" -prune' I get
'./private', so where does ./lib/private come from, or is this a red hat
thing ?

Rowland