[Samba] adjust SOA record

Achim Gottinger achim at ag-web.biz
Sat Aug 16 12:39:32 MDT 2014

Am 16.08.2014 20:30, schrieb mourik jan heupink - merit:
> No one..? Or am I asking something that is obvious to everybody except
> myself..?
>
> On 08/13/2014 07:21 PM, mourik jan heupink - merit wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have outdated SOA information in our samba DNS. We used to have a
>> DC1, and it is no more, however it's listed in our SOA records on both
>> remaining DC's. I think this is not correct.
>>
>> I am under the impression that in order to get full failover support,
>> all DC's need to have listed themselves as SOA. This is also what google
>> tells me:
>>
>> http://serverfault.com/questions/285021/in-a-2-dc-environment-should-both-dcs-host-ad-integrated-primary-zones-to-ensur
>>

>> So, I would like to change the SOA, but the microsoft MMC DNS tools
>> don't let me do that, I'm getting
>> "The start of authority (SOA) record cannot be updated. The record does
>> not exist."
>>
>> I'm not sure what the correct 4.1.7 samba-tool line should be:

>>> <A|AAAA|PTR|CNAME|NS|MX|SOA|SRV|TXT> <olddata> <newdata>
>>

>> I'm unsure about <olddata> and <netdata>. Here is my current SOA, I
>> should replace <olddata> with this:
>>
>> SOA: serial=3, refresh=900, retry=600, expire=86400, minttl=0,
>> ns=dc1.samba.company.com., email=hostmaster.samba.company.com.
>> (flags=600000f0, serial=3, ttl=3600)
>>
>> Would this translate into something like:
>>
>>> samba-tool dns update dc3.samba.company.com samba.company.com
>>> samba.company.com SOA dc1.samba.company.com. dc3.samba.company.com.
>>> hostmaster.samba.company.com. 4 900 600 86400 0 -U username
>>
>> This can never be right? (and yes, I've tried it on my testserver, and
>> it does not work, getting "ERROR: Data requires 7 elements - nameserver,
>> email, serial refresh, retry, expire, minimumttl
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what the correct magic is? (or: should I even be
>> updating the SOA to point to each separate DC at all?)
>>
>> Regards,
>> MJ
Hi Mourik,

 From https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-August/174946.html

/Ah, yes. Apparently this functionality only exists in 4.1 and master,
/>>/  sorry.
/>>/  > Should you try and run with that the command syntax is
/>>/  >
/>>/  > samba-tool dns update SOA "fqdn_dns fqdn_email serial refresh retry
/>>/  expire
/>>/  > minimumttl"
/>>/  >
/>>/  >
/>>/  > Kai

/

So i expect in your case <olddata> translates into

"dc1.samba.company.com. hostmaster.samba.company.com. 3 900 600 86400 0"

and <newdata> into

"dc3.samba.company.com. hostmaster.samba.company.com. 3 900 600 86400 0"

including the quotation marks.