[Samba] auth methods = winbind

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Fri Aug 15 17:49:24 MDT 2014

Mr. Bartlett, I did not expect to see you involved in this thread. Your
posts have helped me countless times over the years and it is my
pleasure to actually thank you for your work with Samba and the
community. I also apologize for my loss of control last night after
repeated sarcastic responses and such from other members.

Now, if you look at my email posted at 10:13 this morning, linked below,
you will see that I do not use that "auth methods" setting. The quote
you're using is from last month, when I was still using it. I know I
have posted my configuration file a dozen times, but I removed that line
a week ago when Rowland informed me (twice actually, I forgot to the
first time) that I should not use it. I have seen many people helped by
Rowland and he has taught me a lot over the past few weeks. I am sure he
is tired of trying to help me with the problem, but thankfully it is
solved now. He did teach me about the Kerberos keytab and I intend on
using it from now on. He also taught about the auth methods and even
straightened me out on using the Samba packages in the backports
repository of my Linux distro. He's a very knowledgeable person.

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-August/184024.html

I am still not sure how I got under Steve's skin, but I do appreciate
the help he offered me. I fully intend to continue using Samba in my
environments and should I have another issue in the future I will drop
by again. Then again, I have been using Samba since version 2 and this
is the first thing that stumped me, and it turns out it was a stupid
permissions issue! I even remember changing the permissions, but it was
while Samba was running. My guess is that it continued to work and when
the server was rebooted, it started acting up. Either way, I will be
changing the file permissions on the print-server to 755 soon and if it
fixes it, I'll get out of everybody's hair.

I do want to thank everybody who helped me. I bear no hard feelings
towards any of you. I was under a lot of stress to fix this and I am
sure you got tired of my emails filling your inboxes. Steve, Rowland,
and Gregory, I hope you can forgive whatever I did to annoy you. Achim,
I owe you. If I can do anything for you, just ask. You solved my problem
in your first response to my thread. Thanks!