[Samba] Member server guide broken

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Thu Aug 14 19:11:24 MDT 2014

Alright, I have had enough also. I have been using both Samba and Linux for many years. I do read manual pages and I do try things on my own. My last resort is always asking for help, so the sarcastic shit I got here after posting amd reposting information was pointless. I kept my mouth shut and remained respectful. I did the same things over and over as others attempted to help and ALWAYS thanked them. On the other hand, I have had to deal with numerous insults and sarcasm when I am trying to solve an issue. And this makes me some kind of bad person? It is no wonder the Linux community cannot grow. Sorry I am not elitist enough.

Also, did you even TRY the guide on a 64bit Wheezy box? I did, symlink amd all, and once saved, I can no longer login. Explain that! Commenting those lines immediately remedies the problem. I read on several other sites where others running Ubuntu had the same issue with the member server guide. Want me to provide links? Again, this is a last resort for me, and you are a perfect example of why. How about asking a useful question or suggesting something? How about not assuming somebody is an idiot? The fact is, I followed a guide to the T, it caused an issue I was able to fix, so I reported it here for discussion.

Look, the guide even states it is for  RHEL system. Every distro is different and I understand that you cannot have a guide for every flavor of Linux, but that is no excuse for the rude behavior I have seen here. I have plenty of working S4 domains. None are at 4.1.11 except the broken one. I am trying to contribute while solving my problem. I did not come here looking to piss anybody off and I am not the one slinging insults.

To end this on a positive note, I am trying to get PAM and winbind to work based on a suggestion by another user. I followed the guide four or five times and each time I made those changes I was unable to login to the box. I posted here in hopes of getting a "oh yeah, you need to do this on Debian" response.

If it matters, the way I setup PAM for Samba version 3 is different than what is stated in the guide for the member server, and the old way works.

RA> that the Samba guide for adding a member server is broken

I've been doing my best to keep my mouth shut, but I'm afraid I'm simply not strong enough. [My name's Greg. I have a "something's wrong on the intenet" problem...]

It amazes me to hear you claim that anything you've tried in Samba is broken. I suppose there's a chance it is, but you wildly run around throwing every visible switch and madly posting about how you're going to file bug-reports, you can't manage to actually read the man files, and blah, blah, blah.

But you do things in such a totally haphazard and crazy fashion, with so many bazillion posts, that I'm pretty sure no one, **including you,** actually knows what you've done and haven't. So to then claim there's something wrong with the docs [or Samba] seems awfully rich.

You've effectively alienated the 2-3 best and most knowledgeable people here [and likely more] and then complain bitterly about how bad the docs are etc.

You're claiming in prior posts [at least as far as I can tell] that somehow Samba4 is broken in such *basic* ways that it can't even serve files as a member server properly. I might buy some total corner case where something doesn't work as expected. But AD member server with basic file sharing where you want AD groups to control access is broken? You want to claim *that* is broken? Seriously!?!

How about you just pony up the cash, and pay SerNet for support. If you're able to follow their directions [and I'd guess when you're paying dearly for the privilege you'll actually do so] I'll pretty much guarantee you'll have a properly functioning system.

Right here:
http://www.samba.org/samba/support/globalsupport.html
Sorry Volker...

But IMO, the probability of you just stumbling across the magic settings that cleans up all the cruft from before, and manages to seemingly randomly flip all the "switches" properly seems like lotto type odds.

Sheesh.

Ok, I'll try to hide my eyes again, or gouge them out with spoons, or something...

-Bye