[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Thu Aug 14 21:54:02 MDT 2014

I just had a thought and would like some input. I just discovered a
major flaw in the member server guide (it doesn't build the PAM modules
by default, the guide does not tell you to build them, and once you
modify your PAM settings, you can no longer login to the box) due to a
change in the way Samba builds. It no longer builds the PAM stuff by
default nor does the guide tell you to add "--with-pam" to the
configuration. Is it possible that something I need has also been turned
off by default? Right now my member servers are built with "--with-ads
--with-pam --with-shared-modules=idmap_ad". I do not add ANY of those to
my AD DC. Do I need PAM, ADS, or anything else on my actual DC? Will it
hurt to build ADS or PAM on the DC? Is it possible that something I need
is not built on the DC and the DC is not authenticating my requests to
the shares on the member server?