[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Thu Aug 14 12:49:17 MDT 2014

On 08/14/2014 1:05 PM, Ryan Ashley wrote:
> I can do "id", "getent", etc on the file-server and they work fine,
> but I do NOT want domain users being able to login to the server so I
> did not setup the PAM stuff. Everything else does work though,
> including ACLs and resolving groups and such.
>
> root at fs01:~# id yolandab
> uid=10013(yolandab) gid=10003(domain users) groups=10003(domain
> users),10032(staff),10031(newmembers),10029(audiovideo),70002(BUILTIN\users)
> root at fs01:~# id ernestj
> uid=10005(ernestj) gid=10003(domain users) groups=10003(domain
> users),10030(fbc),10032(staff),70002(BUILTIN\users)
> root at fs01:~#
>
> I have posted countless results of "getent passwd" and "getent group",
> but will happily do so again if it helps. I will also add the PAM
> stuff to test and will post the results. My understanding however, was
> that PAM was only used to physically login to the system, such as
> through SSH. Am I wrong here?
I'm not qualified to say your wrong, but I can say that I've personally
never been able to access Samba shares without a properly configured PAM
for winbind.  If there is a way to do it, I haven't found it, nor have I
found a howto that didn't include PAM configuration as one of the steps
for a properly functioning winbind samba client.

Dale