[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Wed Aug 13 14:13:27 MDT 2014

Alright, I just did a basic test to remove the blame from Windows. I am
currently connecting via VPN to this network. Everything appears to work
fine. Now, if I use Dolphin in KDE4 to connect to the shares as any
domain user, it keeps prompting me for my password. If I use the domain
admin I get instant access to the shares. This tells me that this is not
a Windows issue since I get the same results in Linux.

Now, this can only mean a few things as far as I know.

 1. Samba is not recognizing that the users are in the global security
    groups. How would I test this?
 2. Samba is, for some odd reason, using the owner on the ext4
    filesystem and nothing else. I guess I can change the owner to a
    domain user to test this.
 3. If Samba is seeing users in the groups, it is not using the
    gidNumber. How can I see what info is being tested for and denied?
 4. Possibly related, I still have no "UNIX Attributes" tab in ADUC,
    despite having the attributes in AD. Is it possible something is
    still missing?

Finally, it is becoming more difficult to search for resolutions to this
issue due to this very thread being very popular on Google. Several
searches I have done today on mixed terms show half a page or more of
this thread, which does nobody any good. We need to find a fix for this
so that others with this issue can see a resolution.