[Samba] Authenticating VDI-in-a-Box to Samba4 AD

David Kirk davidrkirk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 17:57:24 MDT 2014

Hi,

I have successfully built an ADDC on a Centos 6.5 VM running on Citrix
XenServer 6.2.  It seems to be working well.

Now I want to test Citrix VDI-in-a-Box.  I've installed vdiManager 5.4.0 on
to my XenServer.  It wants to authenticate to my AD server.  It fails with
the message:

   Could not connect to the user database at 10.0.1.10 with user
administrator in domain test.lan

I did a bit of searching around and found someone else who had exactly the
same problem as me.
http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/335191-samba4-and-user-database/

I used the same solution as him.  I created another VM and installed
vdi-ldap-proxy (https://github.com/Benoitsob/vdi-ldap-proxy).  I configured
it to use my domain name and ran it.  I pointed vdiManager to the IP
address of the proxy and it works.  I'm building my base image as I type.

So, it seems that the problem is that vdiManager puts in extra whitespace
in the ldap query eg. baseObject: dc=test, dc=lan.  There shouldn't be a
space after the comma.

The proxy takes the malformed request, removes the whitespace and forwards
it to the AD server.

This is great for a short term workaround, but I was wondering if the
developers would consider updating Samba so it will accept a query like the
one above with a space after the comma?

Thanks

David