[Samba] Howto create roaming profiles using samba4 commands only?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:18:28 MDT 2014

On 08/08/14 17:52, steve wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 17:35 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

>>> OK. We need to know whether the 14.04 packages works b4 proceeding.
>>> Anyone?
>>>
>> Hi Steve, I tried the Ubuntu packages (as an AD DC) and it worked, but I
>> jumped ship to Debian because the logs kept getting filled with rubbish
>> (can't quite remember what) , I do not get this with the Debian packages
>> and backports is now up to version 4.1.9, so it is probably time to upgrade.
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> OK. So for a (probably) first time user, could we suggest building a
> proper version from source or instlling the Debian packages instead so
> that we can eliminate any errors in packaging?
> HTH,
> Steve

I personally would recommend that using Debian 7.5 with samba from
backports is the way to go, you get a supported OS and a very recent
samba 4 package with the various parts put into places that users are
used to them being i.e. samba-tool is in /usr/bin rather than being in
/usr/local/samba/bin which is not in path.

Rowland