[Samba] Howto create roaming profiles using samba4 commands only?

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Thu Aug 7 09:41:21 MDT 2014

Hi list,

this is my first email here :-)

Im using samba4 as ad-dc with ubuntu-14.04.1, which works. I can login
in previously created users on samba4-server with my win8-client.
Unfortunatly I wasnt able to create working roaming profiles yet.

Following the howtos in internet always need the use of windows
admin-tools for creating roaming profiles with the right permissions.

Is it possible to do this with samba4 (i.e. samba-tool) commands only?

At the moment i use this smb.conf (created by howto from samba.org):

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MEIN-NETZWERK
        realm = MEIN-NETZWERK.LOKAL
        netbios name = SAMBAAID
        dns forwarder = 192.168.96.254
        idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
        vfs objects = acl_xattr
        map acl inherit = Yes
        store dos attributes = Yes

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/mein-netzwerk.lokal/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No

[profiles]
        path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
        read only = No

[public]
        path = /srv/public
        guest ok = yes
        read only = no

All test from howto were successful (hosts .., smbclient ..)

To create users, i do the following:

samba-tool user add myuser1 myGreatHiddenPassword789
--profile-path=/var/lib/samba/profiles/myuser1

The dir /var/lib/samba/profiles/ is set to a+rwx, so that all writings
are allowed. No additional acl-entries at the moment.

If I now start my (win80)-client, the client is able to login into the
samba-ad-dc, but the profile isnt copied to server after logout as I
assumed. I hope i will solve this with the windows admin tools.

But are roaming profiles theoretically creatable with samba4-commands only?

Tfh!

Regards
Oliver

P.S.: Is there a difference between "samba-tool user add" and
"samba-tool user create" ?