[Samba] Multiple Standalone Servers With Single LDAP Server

Danilo Mussolini danilo at mdotti.com
Thu Aug 7 07:48:50 MDT 2014

Hi guys,

Well, despite the fact I work with Samba for years, I'm not that expert
when talking about AD/DC. But, I would like to share my experience as I
have exactly the same environment as Gordan would like to have.

In this facility, I have a mixed SO environment, involving Mac, Windows and
Linux (about 100 workstations in total). These clients need to access files
from 5 fileservers. So, as Gordon, I had no reasons to have a domain
controller, the only thing I needed was a centralised authentication system
so I could create a user in one location (database) and this user would be
capable of authenticate to any of those servers (if allowed).

So then, I built a LDAP server and filled the database creating users and
groups using GOsa (web interface frontend), and got the standalone Samba
servers authenticating users from this databases. After this setup
everything was working fine until I had some group issues that made me ask
some questions in this list, and here I was noticed that this is not a
recommended setup for Samba servers and this would cause me some problems.
The fact is,  I solved the group issue recreating this specific group and
nowadays, I use this LDAP database not only to authenticate Samba users,
but also for a webserver and those standalone servers are AFP servers
(Netatalk) as well which also uses the LDAP users to authenticate.

In resume, I have 5 standalone Samba/AFP servers using a centralised LDAP
database to authenticate users. When I have to create/modify a user, I just
go to the LDAP GOsa frontend and make the modifications easily so then the
user can or can't access determining files and folders in the servers. The
reason I also use AFP is that Mac clients are incredibly faster using this
protocol than Samba.

I hope this can help someone and sorry if wasn't clear in some point. Any
thoughts are welcome.

Best,