[Samba] Samba 4 AD share: Access denied

Ryan Ashley ryana at reachtechfp.com
Wed Aug 6 11:50:08 MDT 2014

Sorry Rowland! I accidentally sent this to you the first go around. My bad.

I am actually surprised that a few others in the IT field know how to
toy with carbs and such. My hobby is antique tractors and road vehicles.
I love how easy it is to work on them. I wouldn't touch my 2013 F-150
with a ten-foot pole though. Too many computers and such. Also, the
engine is covered in plastic guards, but I digress.

What information have I not answered fully? If I did not understand what
was asked, I asked about it. Like when "ute" was posted. I have posted
my configs each time they are asked for. Nothing has been edited. I
asked about NIS and you gave me the link at MS I read a while back. It
says install the NIS stuff. S4 says NIS is installed. Now I am confused.
I very obviously cannot install NIS stuff from 2008 R2 into a Linux
system with S4, and S4 says it is running NIS according to the test on
the wiki page I linked below. Do you understand my confusion now?

To add to that, MS says that once the NIS stuff is on the server (again,
S4 says it is), I will see the UNIX tab on my ADUC tool. This is why I
have been very hesitant to use the advanced feature and attempt to add
ID's. If the tool isn't detecting NIS and I force this stuff, will
something break? If I can get a guarantee that nothing will break if I
force ID's via the advanced options, I'll do it right now. My thought
process is different however. It goes something like "I need to get NIS
working on the S4 server, then the regular tab will show up, and I am
golden. Since it is not showing up, I probably shouldn't attempt to
force ID's through the advanced option". Am I wrong here?

As for questions, I asked two or three times if I needed that line in my
member server configurations, and I was just now told that I should only
have it on DC's. This is fine, but we all miss or forget to answer once
in a while, so if I forgot something, kindly remind me and I will be
happy to answer it. Oh, and what about my question for the line that
sets a range of 500-40000?

I'm not aggravated with anybody, but I need this fixed. I am a VERY BUSY
person and I may forget things. Do not take it personally, please. I
love the S4 project and it has worked fine up until now. I believe my
issue here is that I must assign an ID to each group and each user for
file shares to work correctly under Linux. My other clients share files
from Linux-based NAS devices and that is PROBABLY the key difference.
Now I know I can add these ID numbers without the UNIX tab, but is it
safe to do that