[Samba] samba-tool syntax error?

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:12:30 MDT 2014

I am using the following syntax to create a new user

samba-tool  user add   user  passwd  --userou=Faculty  --given-name=new
 --surname=user  --gecos=198  --mail-address=newuser at myschool.edu

Which gives me the following error:

ERROR(<type 'exceptions.ValueError'>): Failed to add user 'user':  - unable
to parse dn string
  File "/home/vms/devbin/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/netcmd/user.py",
line 176, in run
    uid=uid, uidnumber=uid_number, gidnumber=gid_number, gecos=gecos,
loginshell=login_shell)
  File "/home/vms/devbin/lib/python2.7/site-packages/samba/samdb.py", line
407, in newuser
    ldbmessage2.dn = ldb.Dn(self, user_dn)

Since it didn't detect a syntax error, I assume there is something worse..
But I don't really know why it would fail to parse the dn string --

Any ideas?

--
David Bear
mobile: (602) 903-6476