[Samba] howto test ddns

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Aug 2 08:14:57 MDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-08-02 at 14:47 +0100, shadrock uhuru wrote:
> hi Steve
> > On Sat, 2014-08-02 at 06:02 +0100, shadrock uhuru wrote:
> > >/ hi
> > />/
> > />/ please could we start all over again,
> > /Yes. No problem.
> > >/ ashanti is the AD DC with a static address of 10.2.1.6.
> > />/ testserver.tissisat.co.uk is a ficticous server to test the ddns update
> > />/ with.
> > />/ i  have assumed that the server line in the nsupdate command is for the
> > />/ dns server i.e. the AD DC
> > /
> > OK, nearly there. _Where_ are you performing the nsupdate command?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steve
> i have performed the nsupdate on ashanti (AD DC),
Hi
Please have a think about this. You have quite rightly assigned a static
IP to your DC. You must _not_ perform the ddns update there! It does not
and should not move from that IP. Ever. The reason for having ddns
updates is so that DNS can keep track of the client machines you have
joined to the domain. These machines (usually for convenience) receive
their IP via dhcp.

> i have no client configured yet.
OK. Time to configure one, install sssd with the ad backend and test
ddns and nsupdate from there.
HTH
Steve