[Samba] Samba 3.5 loses local master browser election to Win7 32bits

Lucas Brasilino lucas.brasilino at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 14:08:04 MDT 2014

Hi!

> The Win 7 x32 clients are configured to use a Wins server?  I am assuming
> you have this pushed out via DHCP?

I did forget to mention that information. Yes, x32 and x64 are using
the Samba server
as WINS server, both configured by DHCP. To be more verbose, I have just one
DHCP server, with one IP range and configurations (including
'netbios-name-servers') which
configures both Win7 x32 and x64 the same way.

>  Maybe it is something unique to a
> batch of computers that just happen to be running x32 vs x64?

Sorry, but... What do you mean ? :)

> Apart from x32 vs x64 OS versions, is there any difference between the x32 and x64
> machines?    Windows firewall settings?

Well, probably not. I'll investigate. On the first x32 machine that
becomes master browser, I did
configured some registry keys like:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster
-> False
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList
-> False

So this machine stops forcing election. But others starts to do.....
so I realised I need some
help :) It's weird since os level is set to its top value.

> Do things like ipconfig and nbtstat show different results on the x32 vs x64
> machines?

I'll also investigate this and will post here.

Thanks for you reply.

Lucas