[Samba] phpldapadmin URI

Stuart Naylor stuartiannaylor at thursbygarden.org
Tue Apr 29 04:32:55 MDT 2014

Firstly I am just hoping you do reintroduce as I thinks its a matter of critical mass and Samba is now getting the attention that was lacking and maybe caused the removal.

Windows ADUC and various other windows based gui tools do exist. If we are going to force the issue of windows being a dominant desktop then maybe we should just use windows.
Samba-tool is in my opinion far from capable of providing a complete solution, certain methods and functions are missing. The whole reason for a request for phpldapadmin was because
really you need an ldap management tool to manage a ldap, I posted a request for help in providing the missing connection details.

I really believe in the ideology of open source where collaboration and feedback a number of heads of users creates better software. This is very dependent on the size of the collaboration and number of heads.
So because SWAT (Samba Web Admin Tool? I presume) has been depreciated and my own experience of a M$ sysadmin background using samba4 was actually painfull.
I am currently butchering the samba3 module in webmin as its cross distro and free and more importantly well known and has many users.
Open source in isolation from other open source in my opinion, is weaker open source and by sharing and encouraging commonality it will only grow stronger.

Strangely I gave up all my development roles when M$ pulled the my com RAD tools and forced obsolescence to their new .Net offerings. The general bullying of a monopoly forced a
European court case and I believe Samba is a very high profile opensource project that is very much a reflection of how open source can produce better user lead software.

Jxplorer is a great desktop java app but after reading, an applet is of no interest to the developers, LAM Pro provides exactly what is needed but is purely a commercial scale offering that is totally overpriced in a many head offering.
After some searching phpldapadmin is the only solution, but to find the news that the connection has been dropped is extremely saddening and a great shame in many respects.

My focus of Samba4 isn't fixated on windows and my focus is on heterogeneous networks and having an opensource piece of software is extremely important if this is going to be extensible.

So here is my conclusion Samba4 needed a landmark European court case to hopefully break a monopoly on choice, if there is no choice on the administration of the product then essentially it has failed.
I can't see how Samba could not want to support it unless they want to provide there own, which brings in my isolation argument of weaker open source.

And from me Please, it would be really great.

Many Thanks

Stuart

PS as soon as a connector is available you have another if noob user who is extremely interested in phpldapadmin especially how it can run in light webserver such as webmins miniserv or maybe lighttpd.

:)