[Samba] Force logonserver in samba4

Iñigo Martinez Lasala imartinez at vector-ignite.com
Wed Apr 23 02:01:07 MDT 2014

Hi everybody.

We have a samba4 domain deployed across serveral countries. Some of them
(overseas) have a poor VPN connection with mainland.
Since Samba4 does not support (yet) subtrees, we have deployed a DC in
each location for domain validation. However users in mainland logon
randomly at overseas location and sometimes this is a problem due to low
bandwidth available.
Is there any way to contraint logon servers? We have though about two

- Limit, via firewall rule, login at oversea locations from mainland,
but we are not sure if this will a problem or delay in excess logon process.
- Limit DNS replication so at mainland office no oversea DCs entries are
shown, but this would be quite complicated to implement.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.