[Samba] Custom user shares

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Tue Apr 22 13:08:38 MDT 2014

Hello Ashely,

Am 22.04.2014 20:08, schrieb Ashley M. Kirchner:
> Uh, excuse my ignorance, but what? What samba database? I didn't do
> anything with any database on any of the servers, not the one that is
> working fine nor this (older) one I'm trying to configure. If you're
> referring specifically to the 'passdb backend' option, it's commented out
> on both servers.

Only because it's commented out, it doesn't mean it's not used. Most
parameters have a default value

# man smb.conf
passdb backend (G)
Default: passdb backend = tdbsam
(This is on 4.1, but I guess it was the same at 3.x)

You can find out where your smbpasswd file is on the server where it's
working and I guess, the account is in there.

Samba 3 requires to have
a) the user local on the system (passwd, ...)
b) in the samba databases

In b) the LM/NT password is stored. So without b) Samba can't
authenticate the user.

To create the user in b), use 'smbpasswd' (-a/-e).

Regards,
Marc