[Samba] Custom user shares

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Apr 22 11:45:19 MDT 2014

Hi folks,

We have an old internal server running samba version 3.2.15 which can't be
upgraded for different reasons. It's been running several passwordless
shares with no problem. Now I'm trying to configure passworded user shares
and not having much luck. I'm wondering if someone can help me diagnose
this:

In smb.conf I have

security = user
map to guest = Bad user
username map = /etc/samba/usermap.txt

The public shares are setup as follows:
[bda]
        comment = BDA Files
        browseable = yes
        writable = yes
        path = /opt/bda
        guest ok = yes
        public = yes
        read only = no
        force user = nobody
        force group = nobody
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        locking = no

*This all works.*

Now for the user shares, I have this:
[kirash]
        path = /opt/backup/kirash
        comment = Ashley M. Kirchner
        writable = yes
        valid users = kirash

The unix user 'kirash' exists.
usermap.txt has a line in it that maps the user as follows:
kirash = AshleyMKirchner

But when I try to access that share from my client I get access denied.

Interestingly enough, I have a second samba server with a more recent
version, 3.6.9 to be exact, with the same exact samba configuration and
that DOES WORK. I can access the share, it asks for the user credentials
(as set on that unix server) and I'm able to log in and access that share
just fine.

So what am I missing on the older server that's causing it to deny access?

Note: our network does NOT use any kind of directory or other server log
ins. Each client is on their own.