[Samba] RPC server unavailable?

Rowland Penny rowlandpenny at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:49:24 MDT 2014

On 19/04/14 17:34, jimc wrote:
> I have a Samba 4.1.6 up and running(?)

As what ?

> When I try to join the AD, I get 'RPC server is unabailable.'

Just what are you trying to join to the AD ?

> This also happens when I try the Microsoft Remote Administration
> tools, I get the same issue.
> The samba, smbd, and auth logs don't seem to provide the answer I
> need, but that may only mean I can't see it.

If you are trying to run the samba & smbd daemons, then I take it you
are trying to run Samba4 as an AD DC, in which case you do not join it
to the domain unless you are joining as a secondary DC.

> The workgroup server works fine.

What workgroup server ?

> I have spent hours online and in the samba lists archives and have not
> been able to find the answer.
> I have been through the whole how-to again and everything checks.
> What am I missing this time?
> Thanks!

Could you please explain just what you are trying to achieve ?

Rowland