[Samba] Why would "net rpc rights grant" fail ?

Koenraad Lelong samba.k.lelong at ace-electronics.be
Fri Apr 18 02:40:25 MDT 2014

op 17-04-14 16:36, Rowland Penny schreef:

> If I remember correctly idmap.ldb only contained 4 records, I think that
> all your problems could have the same source, somewhere in your original
> samba database there is a user called 'root' or 'administrator' with the
> uid of '0' and the gid '65533'
>
>> As an experiment I'm going to try to modify that guid.

Proves more difficult than I imagined. I don't know what I should modify.

> On your original samba server you should have a utility 'tdbdump', this
> does exactly what it says on the tin, use this to dump the contents of
> your samba tdb files, either to screen or redirected into a file,
> examine this and see if you can find the problem.

I already did some dumps, but I don't know what to look for, or in what
file. Those dumps are strangely formatted.
I could use "ldbedit -e nano -H group_mapping.ldb" : I see several
occurences of that 65533, but I don't know the context, so I don't know
if I can modify it or not.

A few weeks back I rejected the idea of just starting from scratch. I
don't have that many users/PC's, but I'm afraid some services running on
a Windows-server will need re-installation, and I can't do that anymore.
Maybe I should just try with a copy of the virtual machine.

Anyway, Rowland, I very much appreciate your effort. I'll try your other
suggestion about deleting some lines in the sam.ldb and run the
sysvolreset. But where do I stand then ? Should I be able to join
workstations then ?

Koenraad.