[Samba] ignoring malformed3 datagram packet

samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com samba.20.andwin at spamgourmet.com
Tue Apr 15 12:21:08 MDT 2014

Hi,
after quite some testing I do now have my Samba4 setup in production
use. The setup mainly consists of an AD-Controller and an AD Member
Server which provides file shares to about 20 Windows 7 clients.
Everything is working well so far except for two somewhat 'special'
clients. For these I observe the following:

1) On the AD Member Server periodically (every hour) appears a message
in log.nmbd similar to the following for each of the two clients:

[2014/04/15 13:47:46,  0] ../source3/nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:1289(process_dgram)
  process_dgram: ignoring malformed3 (datasize = 494, len=408,
off=100) datagram packet sent to name MYDOM<00> from IP 192.168.0.107

2) On at least one of the clients the file shares from the AD Member
Server disconnect from time to time, especially when the client has
not been touched for a while. This means that the mounted network
drives in the Windows Explorer become a red cross. However, as soon as
one clicks on them they are back to normal again.

The only difference I can think of for these two clients as opposed to
the other clients is that the two problematic clients are connected to
the same switch whereas the others are not.

Are issues 1) and 2) related? What does message 1) mean and what
implications does it have? I would appreciate some guidance on how to
troublehoot this, especially problem 2).

Best regards
Andreas