[Samba] DOS clients problem with 3.6.22 vs 3.6.18

Dominic Raferd dominic at timedicer.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 09:19:33 MDT 2014

I have tried to upgrade our samba server from 3.6.18 to 3.6.22 but found
that our DOS clients could no longer connect (using DOS 6.22 and
Microsoft LAN Manager 2.1).

With 3.6.18 we use smb.conf setting 'min protocol = LANMAN2' and it
works great, with 3.6.22 although clients can connect ok, they cannot
obtain a directory listing. Instead the first file (sometimes misnamed)
just relists endlessly.

Using loglevel 4 I find this text in log file when a DOS client connects
to either version of samba 3.6:

   Requested protocol [PC NETWORK PROGRAM 1.0]
   Requested protocol [MICROSOFT NETWORKS 3.0]
   Requested protocol [DOS LM1.2X002]
   Selected protocol DOS LM1.2X002

It seems like there is a bug in 3.6.22 or is there a new setting that
might work with 3.6.22 to get it working again? (Sorry I am unable to
try 3.6.23 but I see nothing in the changelog which suggests that this
problem might go away with 3.6.23.)

Thanks for any help

Dominic