[Samba] New SAMBA 4.x appliance available for testing and feedback

david.lloyd at fsmail.net david.lloyd at fsmail.net
Thu Apr 10 14:22:45 MDT 2014

Hi,

We have just released an alpha release of Balloon Network Controller, a new Open Source (GPL) SAMBA AD appliance.  It is aimed at complete beginners, allowing you to easily build a
Windows Domain and manage users and groups.

http://www.balloon-systems.com/product/networkcontroller_download.html

The simplest deployment model is to build a dual-NIC VM or standalone server.  This will deploy a NAT “boundary server” with ipv4/ipv6 DHCP and DNS services on the internal
interface.  Setting up Active Directory is then just a matter of choosing a domain name and adding users and groups through the administration webpage.  The target use is for small
office, for home use, or for use in test deployments.  It is also useful for small cloud deployment - we have plans to create VM templates for this purpose.

The OS is based on a rolling install of Fedora, and the system will auto update without further interaction.  Source code is available on the CD ISO, and on the Sourceforge project pages.

We are now at the point of needing feedback by way of feature requests and testing, before we do the final GUI polishing for the upcoming release.

Thanks,

David Lloyd
Balloon Systems