[Samba] DNS record info (samba-tool)

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Tue Apr 8 13:26:23 MDT 2014

Am 08.04.2014 20:31, schrieb Stuart Naylor:
> Thanks Gunter,
>
> I am keeping to the internal, I am not a fan of bind in this scenario.
>
> Gunter so even though it lists that is just an RPC call but actually the working record needs a restart?
>
> I am trying to do a webmin module for Samba4 rather than use any RSAT tools.
>
> The DNS part is a little confusing :)
>
> Stuart

there are (at least) 2 ways to manipulate samba (windows) dns entries:
  - using dce/rpc calls to modify the AD directory directly
    (e.g. used by samba-tool, MS DNS Manager GUI, ...)
  - using dynamic DNS
    (e.g. ISC nsupdate, MS ipconfig /registerdns, ...)

When samba starts, the internal dns server reads all currently defined
zones (from ADS) - and the containing dns records - into its _own_ data structures.

When a new zone is added, the dce/rpc tools will show it,
but the internal dns must be restarted.

When you then add new records to any now existing zone, the dns server
will also track them. So no samba restart is needed.

Cheers, Günter