[Samba] Consistent UID/GID mappings?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Apr 8 13:12:10 MDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 08:07:20PM +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 08/04/14 19:57, Alexandre Beauclair wrote:
> >Thanks a lot!
> >It worked perfectly to set the Primary GID.
> >That's one down and I feel I'm finally getting somehwere. Now for the Home Directory attribute, we need them to point to /home/users/DOMAIN/username. The member machine has no trouble reading it from the UNIX attributes, but it doesn't seem to be able to from the Samba4 Server. It keeps pointing to /home/DOMAIN/username, which I believe is the default for Samba4. Is there some place else I have to configure it? Looking at my previous problems, I'm beginning to think I'm just not looking at the right place to configure these...
> >
> >Alexandre Beauclair
> Hi, I take it this is on the samba4 server? if so, you could try
> using sssd (damn I am not supposed to recommend this, the devs don't
> like it ;-) )

Argggh. Please stop (not the recommending of sssd, but the
'the devs don't like it' bullshit :-).

ON THE RECORD !!!! I am fine with sssd, I think it's great.
Simo (who is a core Samba Team member) and the other sssd
devs do great with their product. It's a modern clean design
with great technology. It just doesn't happen to be supported
on this list.

What I object to is the promotion of 'use sssd, winbindd
is shit' comments on the samba-technical and samba lists.
It's just not the place !

If you want to wave flags for one solution or another
just don't do it on the lists for either of the solutions
(I'm sure the sssd lists wouldn't appreciate comments like
'sssd is shit, use winbindd' either :-).

Now is that so hard ?

:-).

Jeremy.