[Samba] Consistent UID/GID mappings?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Apr 8 10:11:21 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-08 at 11:59 -0400, Alexandre Beauclair wrote:
> Thanks for the help Marc. With your guidance I was able to make winbind
> retrieve the user's UID in a consistent manner across machines. I was
> able to fill the info in ADUC, and retrieve it with the ad backend.
> However, whenever I "getent" or "id" the user, it shows me the correct
> UID, but doesn't show the additional groups it is a member of. It stays
> as Domain Users, even though I created the group under ADUC, gave it
> UNIX attributes, and filled the field for the user for Primary GID.

Because winbind for some reason I could never figure uses the
primarygroupid rather than the GID number for the users primary group.

Best practice IMHO is to keep the two synchronized. That is the GID
number of the user should match the GID number of the users
primarygroupid.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.