[Samba] DNS - block ip of second nic

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Mon Apr 7 17:53:21 MDT 2014

Am 07.04.2014 19:03, schrieb Andreas Grabner:
> Hello Marc,
> Am 2014-04-07 17:57, schrieb Marc Muehlfeld:
>> Hello Andreas,
>>
>> Am 07.04.2014 14:29, schrieb Andreas Grabner:
>>> i have a samba 4.0 server with bind DNS. I has two configured interfaces
>>> 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1. The second nic is just for backup purposes
>>> i don't want it to be accessed by clients. At the moment samba dnsupdate
>>> push the .1.1 and the .2.1 address as server addresses. Windows clients
>>> in the 1.0/24 try to access 2.1 which does not work.
>>> How can i tell samba not to puch the second address to DNS?
>>> Does the "interface" option help?
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_port_usage#Prevent_Samba_from_listening_on_all_interfaces
>>

>> Regards,
>> Marc
>>

> I did it. But i had to delete the DNS record for the host belonging to .2.1 manual. Will see tomorrow if it is here again.
>
> Thanks
> Andreas

you can use e.g.
   netstat -anp | grep samba
to list the interfaces and ports used by samba.
Note - the netstat program has different options with different distros.

You are right that samba registers all interfaces if not otherwise told, e.g.
   interfaces = lo eth0
   bind interfaces only = yes
and you have to remove already registered dns entries manually.
There are scavenging/aging algorithms for unused dns entries - but are atm
not fully implemented in samba.

Cheers, Günter