[Samba] winbind bug?

Doug Tucker tuckerd at lyle.smu.edu
Mon Apr 7 11:01:16 MDT 2014

> You are trying to connect linux clients to a windows AD server, is
> this correct?
>
> Rowland
No.  I have a samba server 3.033 joined to a windows 2003 AD with a mix
of clients.  All works fine.  I installed a 3.6.9 that works for all
users except those with unix id's >11k and win7 clients.  I have all
unix users/groups in /etc/passwd and /etc/group on the samba server.
With 3.033 and earlier just passing to AD for authentication and then
using the local /etc/pass/group for all other attributes (uid, gid, home
directory) always worked.  This group (and you especially) made me aware
this doesn't work anymore with the newer samba's and I need the unix uid
in AD through some schema extention I have links to (but to date no real
understanding of what it means).  I got confused and couldn't determine
for myself through reading whether I was going to have to import all of
my unix groups into AD and if this schema extension then added a unix
attribute to all of the groups that I then put the unix gid into or
not.  My plan was to somehow try to install an AD somewhere (yeah, that
should be interesting seeing as the last time I even installed windows
on a desktop was probably windows 2000)  so I could test and if I could
get it working I would have some backup plan in case a client upgrade to
win 7 causes my existing samba to fail.