[Samba] Odd file locking issue with one of our SMB servers....

Gary Greene ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Fri Apr 4 16:02:36 MDT 2014

Samba version: 3.6.15 on openSUSE 12.2.

We’ve got a series of file shares exported from one of our storage systems. Periodically, we’ve a user from our accounting department that is getting errors from Excel that the file she’s trying to open is opened by someone else (it isn’t) and prompts her to either open it as read-only, or to cancel the open operation. When this occurs, she hits cancel, then she tries again immediately following this, and then it works without issue.

This seems to occur once or twice a day for her, from what she’s reporting.

We’ve not seen this on our other SMB servers running an older release of samba.

The running configuration of samba on this host follows:

[global]
	workgroup = MINERVANETWORKS
	realm = MINERVANETWORKS.COM
	server string = ""
	security = ADS
	map to guest = Bad User
	kerberos method = secrets and keytab
	kernel oplocks = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	template homedir = /home/%U
	template shell = /bin/bash
	winbind use default domain = Yes
	winbind refresh tickets = Yes
	winbind offline logon = Yes
	idmap config * : range = 10000-20000
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[old-atlas]
	comment = Old data from Atlas
	path = /srv/smbtree/old-atlas
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[IT]
	comment = Information Technology shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments/IT
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[HR]
	comment = Human Resources shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments/HR
	valid users = XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX
	admin users = "@domain admins"
	read only = No
	create mask = 0770
	directory mask = 0770
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[Operations]
	comment = Operations shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments/Operations
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[iTVManager]
	comment = Old shared documents and data for early versions of iTVManager
	path = /srv/smbtree/iTVManager
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[Public]
	comment = Catch-all share available to all users in the company
	path = /srv/smbtree/Public
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[Home]
	comment = User home directories
	path = /srv/smbtree/Users
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[ProfServ]
	comment = Professional Services shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments/ProfessionalServices
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[ProdMgmt]
	comment = Product Management shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments/ProductManagement
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[CorpDocs]
	comment = Old HR related documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/CorpDocs
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[FormerEmpl]
	comment = Former Employee Home directories (Admin access only)
	path = /srv/smbtree/FormerEmpl
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[document control]
	comment = ECO and Release documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/document control
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[Engineering]
	comment = Engineering shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments/Engineering
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[Documentation_Services]
	comment = Techwriting shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Documentation_Services
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[Accounting]
	comment = Accounting and Finance shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments/Accounting
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[Departments]
	comment = Departmental shared documents
	path = /srv/smbtree/Departments
	read only = No
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

[E-Staff]
	comment = E-Staff Protected Share
	path = /srv/smbtree/E-Staff
	valid users = XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, XXXX, "@domain admins"
	admin users = "@domain admins"
	read only = No
	create mask = 0770
	directory mask = 0770
	inherit acls = Yes
	ea support = Yes
	store dos attributes = Yes

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, or a workaround, please let me know. Thanks.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sr. Systems Administrator