[Samba] Samba documentation team

Stuart Naylor stuartiannaylor at thursbygarden.org
Fri Apr 4 13:50:08 MDT 2014

I think the problem lies due to a monopoly which is probably bigger than the server lock in.

The desktop market of M$ is huge and its install base is massive.

With vista and above you could authenticate to an NT4 network but it is much worse. You can't elevate logon script permissions and group policies what are they.

So for a windows administrator who has been pushed and bullied to give up XP and below, even with the best efforts administration of any centralised polices is a forget it affair.

This doesn't mean windows administrators have a monopoly on the dictates of what type of domain will be used or continue to be used.

Also the samba3 code base and users shouldn't be abandoned and generally forced obsolescence is one of the reasons I switched from M$ commercial offerings to OpenSource Linux.

Part of the reason NT4 didn't have USB support was because it would kill that OS and all the other things M$ do when they want to bury a product to switch to what is all new and shiny.

So the samba3 and NT4 documentation is very valid but the vast differences in NT4 and AD mean that in terms of product, consideration and roll-out there is no comparison.

Yes there are a lot of shared origins but samba3 is not samba4 and any attempt to make them look like part of a suite will just cause confusion and actually detract from the product.

The harsh market realities for many of us is that NT4 domains are a dead duck, a technology shadow from the past that should be supported.
There are books on Samba3, huge amounts of resources and guys its super that you are putting in so much effort.

Currently for Samba4 there is practically no good documentation, absolutely zero publications and a hell of a lot of junk legacy from beta and previous versions.

I have to admit when there is such a need for Samba4 documentation and its importance at this stage with landmark European anti-trust court cases.

My small and limited mind has a simple thought and its WTF?

Much of the reason Samba4 can exist is because of documented "lock in" and for me the "lock out" of linux and other desktop's from the workplace.

There is a time frame here as the co-operation M$ gave was up and to 2008R2 and if you are not careful the importance of Samba4 could be greatly diminished.

I see samba4 as a great way to provide heterogeneous environments where the infrastructure barriers of closed M$ product means we have a quick way in.

I can start employing linux and other desktops into that existing infrastructure and a huge part of this is the ability to use RFC2307.

With samba4 being open source there can be many ways that extendible and heterogeneous methods will be offered and utilised.

So to cut a long story short from the point of a Samba4 user can we have some fairly comprehensive documentation pretty quickly.
I used to provide Samba3 Linux solutions for SMB, the market is dead and that is just reality.

I write the above as I hope Samba4 doesn't follow the same footsteps as Samba3 as all this absolute stella work and effort will miss out on a hugely important market need.

http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/homesteading/homesteading/ar01s06.html

Dunno if any of you have read the above but the page I posted is relevant and I am not saying we have anything bad in the samba team that isn't purely human nature.

Irrespective of what we post here, we are going to get what the documentation think is relevant.  Much work has already been done and they are going to want to use that effort.

Erics words "The simplest way is the command hierarchy" and its true and what he talks about is human nature, not any subversive effort to control.

Everybody is doing there best in absolutely good faith.

Problem is Eric is right as the documentation currently being forwarded isn't need. It was conceived in a command hierarchy that is based on what they could write and not what is needed.

I am not criticising as how do you provide a wiki on a rapidly developing product that isn't finished.

The first logical step of human nature is OK we will start with the known. What about NT4 domain documentation...

I am not a fan of formalised wiki's, command hierarchies and titles of any kind.

I believe firmly in the principles of the many heads rule and the basic fundamentals of open source that where laid out in documents such as the Cathedral and the Bazaar and Noosphere.

Please continue with a formalised site and wiki and command hierarchies but please bear in mind that Opensource is and could be much more than just code.

We need an non formal site that is official but officially non formal where quick and easy contributions can be provided and its called a Bazaar.

So documentation can be quickly available to the community and users and is of worth to the community and users.

Stuart.

Apols.