[Samba] Migration samba3 -> samba4

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Fri Apr 4 12:29:31 MDT 2014

Hello Peer-Joachim,

Am 04.04.2014 08:57, schrieb Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch:
> we are still using a setup with openldap + samba3. On the unix systems
> we are using ldap for authentication, for all windows clients samba is
> used.
>
> When we migrate to samba4 what will happen to the unix clients ?
> Can they ask the samba4 PDC ?

Later in your posting you talk about the migration HowTo. So I guess,
you talk about an AD DC and not about a PDC (PDC = NT4 style domain, DC
= AD).

The unix clients can still use Winbind. Just some parameters need to be
adapted and krb5.conf filled.

> For an update . are there other Howto's as the
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/samba-tool/domain/classicupgrade/HOWTO
 >
> just to get some impression, what has to be done and what might fail.

There's no other migration HowTo. But if it fails, we have to figure out
why and fix this. If you give more details, we surely can help.

> (we have a little bit more complex setup (different DNS zones,...))

It's all possible. It may just require a better planning and testing. :-)

Regards,
Marc